SUICIDE & CRISIS LIFELINE
What is 988?
24/7 free confidential support to people who are experiencing a crisis.
How can you reach 988?
You can call or text 988.
You can also chat at 988lifeline.org.
When should I call?
You can call when you are having thoughts of suicide, in a mental health or substance use crisis, or in any other kind of emotional distress. You can also call if you are worried about someone who may need crisis support.
What should I expect when I call?
There will be a greeting message while your call is being routed to the call center located closest to your area code. A caring qualified responder will answer the phone, listen, provide support, and share resources. If the local crisis center is unable to take the call,
you will be routed to a backup call center. Your call will be answered!
What is the 988 Crisis Care Continuum?
This involves the entire Mental Health Crisis Support Continuum from having someone to answer the confidential call, chat, or text, to having someone to respond to an in-person mental health crisis, and a safe place for a person experiencing a mental health crisis to go.
What are additional crisis resources?
- SCDMH Mobile Crisis: In person or over the phone mental health assessment and resources in SC. Anyone in SC can call 833-364-2274 to reach Mobile Crisis.
- Crisis Text Line: You text “HOPE4SC” to 741-741
- Trevor Project Lifeline: 866-488-7386
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- United Way: Call 211
- Interactive Mental Health Screener: hope.connectsyou.org